[StBernard] Gulf Outlet unlikely to close

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Apr 25 17:32:18 EDT 2006

Jim, exactly. We're not frustrated by choice, nor are we "mean-spirited" by
nature/nurture. We have been such because of gross ineptness/incompetance in
operations to get us/not get us to a point of peace. Yes, it was a landmark
disaster. Does the solution have to follow suit as well?

I'd rather be calm by any means of the word than have my blood pressure go
through the roof. There are 3 tiers here that need to work together, and I'm
sure each have their complexities. (Local, state and federal). However, true
leadership means taking care of the simpler things primarily, then work
towards the more complex (like having the money to do what we need done).
When the "gimmees" aren't addressed right away, the more arduous is
heightened, it seems to the heavens. It works this way: people lead, people
follow. In a leadership role, we work even harder when present leadership
doesn't seem to satisfy a situation.

..focus.

--jer--

-------------------------

John,
I've never been a conspiracy theory buff, but I'm beginning to feel that
THEY (FEMA,COE et al) are just being more coy with St. Bernard than they are
with Plaquemines Parish. With Plaquemines they are saying not cost
effective to build the levees for the lower part because of low population.
For St. Bernard, they are just laying the obstacles in your path. An
apparently incorrect "drive-by" evaluation was done on properties. If it
was a drive by, how the hell did they get into the back yard to evaluate the
storage bldg. we have? So now I have a choice of getting a structural
engineers evaluation or WAIT! a contractor's estimate. Except, what
contractor are you going to get to give you an estimate with him not knowing
whether he'll get the job or not?

Now we have the issue of property elevations and possibly needing a survey
of the property. Here's an elevation for you: The house my parents had DID
NOT FLOOD until the levees failed in Katrina. What else will we have to do?
Do I need to submit the type of seed or sod I'll redo the lawn with or
possibly the exact shade of the roof shingles?

As I wrote above, I almost believe they are being coy with us just throwing
out more obstacles as they can.

JY