[StBernard] Governor Blanco says $2.2 billion request for levees shows President's commitment to Louisiana

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Apr 25 22:40:47 EDT 2006

Governor Blanco says $2.2 billion request for levees shows President's
commitment to Louisiana

"The President's commitment to Louisiana and its recovery was once again
demonstrated today when he asked Congress for an additional $2.2 billion to
strengthen the level of hurricane and storm protection provided by levees in
Southeast Louisiana.

"I am very grateful for his support of our state and our people as we
continue to rebuild and better protect our coast.

"While much of this is good news for the southeast region, the thousands of
residents in lower Plaquemines Parish wait to hear if they will be included
in the protection plan. I will continue to work with the administration on
behalf of the people of Plaquemines.

"We hope to negotiate 100 percent federal cost share on all of the flood
control projects.

"Today's news from Washington, in addition to the President's support for an
additional $4.2 billion to help meet our state's enormous housing challenge
is good news for our citizens who struggle to rebuild their lives and
communities.

"I also thank the members of Congress for their support while facing
significant federal budgetary constraints as they consider this measure on
the Senate floor."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's
People www.louisianahelp.org