[StBernard] rainstorms

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed May 10 00:21:51 EDT 2006

Having seen firsthand the rainstorm in Chalmette on Sunday afternoon, it was
no surprise how quickly water ponds in the streets due to all the debris
clogging the drains. It was curb to curb in a matter of minutes and that
wasn't a long rainstorm, although it was intense.
Afterward, I personally cleaned the debris clogging the front of my nearest
catch basin and the water in front of my home quickly cleared out,
thankfully, However, hours later there was still standing water, curb to
curb, on many streets in Chalmette due to either catch basins being blocked
or debris in the storm pipes.

I urge everyone who cares about their home or business, to get out there
continually and clear the front of their catch basin and if it still doesn't
drain, call the Dept of Public Works so they can note that there is deeper
problem that only the parish can unclog. It would help tremendously if
people and their workers would BAG THE SMALL TRASH, since the debris trucks
don't come daily. What a shame if we flood again, not because of a levee
failure or a problem at the pump stations, but because a one inch rainfall
couldn't get through clogged catch basins!

I have to keep on my contractors that they have to put their trash in the
bags I provide. They aren't doing me a favor throwing their lunch and drinks
out the front door along with scraps of materials that could easily be
bagged.

Craig, can Cannizaro do some publicity on this issue?

ddk