[StBernard] Population

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 12 23:56:35 EDT 2006

If the numbers are not really there, we can refer this "procedure" as the
"bandwagon effect".

The bandwagon effect is the observation that people often do (or believe)
things because many other people do (or believe) the same. In some worsening
situations it is referred to as herd instinct, particularly as applied to
the young. Without examining the merits of the particular thing, people tend
to "follow the crowd" because they view it as being "left behind or as a
loser if they do not join the "winners" who band in numbers.

The phrase "jumping on the bandwagon" is therefore used in the sense of
"joining an increasingly popular trend."

Dave, when governments or corporations want others to follow their "ideals
or products" they use propaganda to establish a trend (when in actuality, a
"pied piper" can be used to start the music <G>)..then a bandwagon effect
would be the end result of their endeavor.

Whether to call it a "trick-of-da-trade", a ploy, a genius idea or a
gimmick, it can be used successfully to produce that result as a means to
the end. The old confidence play: See others doing it can become effective
and contagious. Hopefully no one is hurt by this if there is a deviousness
involved (as hurricane season is evolving) and things are so unsettled.

Craig mentioned that trailers issued, permits issued/applied for, etc. shows
the amount to be 20,000. We all know that Craig is an honorable man. We
don't know however, that the numbers were padded though. Someone in the
course of history once quoted: "Who knows?"

As in life before Katrina, I tend to keep my eyes and ears open, to avoid
"da truth" unless I see and hear it personally and to use my common cents.
My father once quipped to me as a child: "Plenty people out there (including
governments and leaders, corporate bigwigs, I suppose also) have plenty of
money. However, they don't have any "Cents" (sense). Because if they did,
they wouldn't get caught so much.

==Jer==