[StBernard] Murphy Oil Spill Area and Opting Out

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat May 13 09:58:24 EDT 2006

It's almost as if those in the Murphy-recognized impacted area have a
clearer choice to make. However, those in the Judge V's expanded area could
have it tougher.

Consider, it's 2 weeks until June 1st to opt out or be in a class-action
suit. (How long in time it takes to opt out may be a factor as well).

Then, for those who are in the expanded area, who do NOT know (or have asked
everyone to let them know if the area they're in has been tested (or not)
and wish to determine if they have oil evidence must take the chance to opt
out and be excluded and must get an attorney (and tester) to fight the good
fight if oil exists.

If oil does not exists there is nothing to be rewarded for, because in
actuality, everyone outside the original map HAS been subjected to extreme
anxiety about oil impacting their homes (as the Judge has seen to it and
yet, won't allow us to negotiate a settlement on our own). Personally I'm
sickened over the matter that I am affected either way and yet, have a grand
opportunity to be overly stressed without any form of compensation for my
distress. My community had severe "missed trash/hazard pickups", --we've
been ostrasized about guttings and other matters and if I don't speak for
anyone else, then I speak as an offended citizen. Even the local and
national governments have had little options (and in some cases, say-so
about the matter).

To many, money IS an option (and a hardship these days) and there's only one
thing that seems to be worse than a "tight-lipped" oil company and that's a
"tight-a$$ed lawyer" that has made our living hell, well,..unliveable with
imbearable tendencies with consequences to match.

--jer--

We lived on Karen Dr. in the oil spill area and are considering opting out
of the class action suit and settleing with Murphy. I know that if you
don't opt out by June 1, then you are in the class like it or not. Do you
actually have to meet with and settle with Murphy by that date or just opt
out and can settle later?
Any info is appreciated as Murphy is tight lipped and Sydney just wants your
business

Tom