[StBernard] Raising homes & groceries

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun May 14 20:07:42 EDT 2006

A friend of mine was considering raising her home 8 feet. She was told that
she may not be able to get home owners insurance from AllState because they
weren't writing policies for homes up higher than 5 feet. The higher the
home is, the more wind damage. We all know that the insurance companies pay
out of their own pockets for home owners. So, before you raise your home,
check to see if this is a rumor.

She was considering buying one of the modular homes and was told that
AllState is not insuring them either because they are considered mobile
homes. I don't know if that is a rumor, too. She picked a style with the
garages under the house. She would have to higher her own contractor to
enclose the garage and finish it. This is not an option with the builder.

I also heard at the Chamber meeting that Breaux Mart is trying to open in
the IGA building. Financing fell through for the Billiot brothers.

Princess