[StBernard] COLUMN: A Great Week for Louisianas Recovery

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon May 15 19:44:51 EDT 2006

COLUMN: A Great Week for Louisiana's Recovery

Make no mistake: last week brought in a wave of good news for Louisiana's
recovery. The first round of funding we have been fighting for in Washington
is finally coming our way. On Wednesday, the federal government approved
$368.4 million in resources in response to the Action Plan the state
submitted.

These long awaited resources will enable us to enact four key steps of my
plan for Louisiana's recovery. First, we will do more to shore up our
struggling businesses and strengthen the state's economy. The federal
funding allows us to devote an additional $95 million to Louisiana's Small
Business Bridge Loan Program. The state has already given millions in loans
to small businesses. We now have an expanded capacity to provide businesses
with the cash flow needed to survive.

Second, my team has partnered with local governments to identify key
infrastructure projects. We will provide an estimated $95 million in relief
to local governments to restore and improve our infrastructure. These
projects include repairing our sewer systems, police stations, fire houses
and other essential services.

Third, the state has identified state infrastructure improvements necessary
to rebuild and improve our neighborhoods and communities. We now have the
ability to devote an estimated $142.5 million to help our schools,
universities, ports, and other essential facilities recover.

Fourth, we will finance the administrative and planning costs associated
with our housing plan. In the coming weeks, this funding will enable us to
open the doors of our recovery centers. We will hire trained financial
counselors who can provide homeowners with fiscally sound advice as they
enroll in our housing plan.

The good news coming out of Washington was bolstered by a week of good news
in Louisiana's legislature. Our legislature came together on Thursday to
approve The Road Home housing plan. The bipartisan support of our
Legislature was the result of extensive work by the Louisiana Recovery
Authority and others to incorporate suggestions offered by citizens and
legislators. Our plan allows homeowners to secure up to $150,000 to cover
uninsured damages, and provides incentives to encourage the development of
affordable rental housing. As soon as the legislature acted, I sent our
Housing Action Plan to Washington. I am confident this plan will be given
the quick consideration it deserves.

Prior to that, the United States Senate approved President Bush's Emergency
Supplemental Appropriations Bill. The Supplemental includes the additional
$4.2 billion we need to run The Road Home housing plan, and an additional
$2.2 billion to strengthen our levees. We have been fighting hard for this
money, and I appreciate the Senate's vote. We will not let up until this
crucial funding survives the conference committee between the House and
Senate intact, and is signed into law by President Bush.

This was a great week for our recovery. In the coming months, Louisiana will
become a flurry of activity as our construction economy takes root and our
neighborhoods are rebuilt. This is an exciting time for Louisiana. I urge
all of our people to dream big and be a part of the opportunities that
abound for our State.

-30-

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's
People www.louisianahelp.org