[StBernard] June 9th

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon May 15 21:49:16 EDT 2006

I am in complete agreement with DDK. I spoke to one of my former neighbors
just last week when he was visiting some friends in the parish. I asked him
if he had made a decision yet and he reminded me that he had previously
stated that he "had bought another home accross the lake and they can do
whatever they want with it". I suggested that he get on the list for free
gutting or demolition and was told that he "didn't have time to wait in line
as he would only be in St. Bernard for the day".

I hope that we begin placing stickers on these types of homes soon, so that
demolition can occur as soon as possible.

At the same time, what guidelines are in place for businesses? Chase is the
second largest bank in the U. S. and yet little has been done to any of the
three branches located in St. Bernard. I have no doubt that a bank that
earned in excess of $4 billion last quarter can afford to clean up their
property.

JR

I read about the new deadline for property owners to maintain their
property
and have some unanswered questions that maybe Craig or someone else
can
answer.

If a house is already scheduled for demolition by the parish, (2,900
homes
divided by even 30 per day means 100 days of demo for the ones who
have
already signed up, and that would mean the last home on the current
list
wouldn't be reached until mid August), does the homeowner have to
abide by
the "maintain the property" laws from June 9 until its actual
demolition? Or
do the homes scheduled for demolition just stay "as is" until demo
day? My
parents are in this situation where they are on the demo list, but
caught in
the Murphy Oill spill purgatory. They have cleaned the lawn and yard
and cut
the grass, and will board up if they are supposed to. What is the
level of
maintaining property for those on the demo list that is expected of
the
owners?

If a house is not on the demolition list, the owners have told
neighbors
that they bought a house elsewhere, the owners have said, "The
parish can do
what they want with it, I don't care," and the property remains
untouched
since Aug 29, does a neighbor have to file a complaint with the
parish on
June 9th to get some compliance, and if so, how is this complaint to
be
made-phone, letter, to which dept.?

I can't take the snakes and rats and mosquitos much longer and I am
already
spraying Roundup, setting rat bait, and spreading lime since the
fence
between us blew down with the last rainstorm.

ddk