[StBernard] FLOOD INSURANCE

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed May 17 22:52:44 EDT 2006

Heather,

The reason to keep the flood insurance is for the grandfather clause. As
long as you maintain continuous coverage, you will be able to stay in the
same rating as you are now, plus you could transfer that rating to a buyer
should you sell your house. If you drop coverage, you lose that grandfather
clause.

As for homeowners insurance, you may be able to switch to a different type
of coverage. You need to talk with your insurance agent about that.

Two other things to keep in mind. If you are having your home demolished,
once it has been demolished you can purchase pure liability coverage. This
is dirt cheap, run's about $1 for every $1,000 of coverage ($100 buys you
$100,000 coverage). Not everyone needs this.

If you bought a new home because of the storm and have your new home owners
policy with a private insurance company, your policy should cover your old
land. Again, check with your agent. For those who have the La. FAIR plan,
you will need to purchase a separate liability policy since the FAIR plan
does not extend coverage outside the boundaries of the home it is written
for.

If you are rebuilding your home you need to purchase a builder's risk
policy. Your homeowners policy will not cover any losses to your home while
it is being repaired.

Westley