[StBernard] Windows and Doors

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun May 21 11:25:55 EDT 2006

We removed our windows because they were Pella wood windows with an aluminum
cladding on the outside. The interior side which was wood was ruined. When
we pulled the windows out we saw that the studs that were up against the
windows were packed with mud and started to mold. So we removed one exterior
door and found the same. Then we removed every exterior door and found the
same. When we went to relocate an interior door opening because we were
making minor floor plan changes, we found that whenever two studs were
against each other, which is at every interior door jamb, there was mud and
mold between them. So we removed the inside studs, in order to have the
adjacent studs cleaned, and then replaced the inside stud with new wood.
This is a lot of time and work, but not much cost. We did it because we knew
how to and with the amount of money it's costing us to repair nearly 2500
sq. ft. of downstairs that flooded, our time and two dozen 2x4s was a drop
in the proverbial bucket. Bottom line, do what you can afford to pay someone
or can do yourself until you run out of time or money or both! A
sheetrocked house is a beautiful thing after looking at studs since October.

Deborah