[StBernard] New Orleans Mayoral Election

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon May 22 09:06:13 EDT 2006

John,
2011 may be far enough post-Katrina that losing the mayor's race will be
forgotten or at least buried in folks' memories. As for the NOLA black
vote, if they don't have a candidate in the race, they'll probably push the
button for him. Just my opinion of course.

Now, to me what would be interesting to see is this: Boasso runs against
Blanco and wins. Comes up for reelection in 2011. Would Landrieu consider
a run against him? Sometimes it's good to sit back and watch the fun. <g>

Jim

Mitch has made it known in political circles he has every intention
of
running for governor - not necessarily against Blanco (even if he
wants to
and feels he could beat her) because the fall out within the
Democratic
Party would create havoc. No, Mitch is probably looking to 2011 to
make his
bid for the Governor's mansion. And, he'll be well financed - that's
because he's well financed as of this day - and he's got five more
years to
build up his war chest even more - with Pappa "Moon" and Big Sister
Senator
to help. You can bet the Democratic party will cut a deal with
Mitch...if
he stays out the governor's race next year and backs Blanco, then
they'll
give him the nod in 2011. That would make sense.

It will be interesting to see if his losing the mayor's race will
end up
hurting him in a state wide election - now the question looms if he
can
absolutely carry the black vote in New Orleans. Still, he has plenty
of
time to lick his "political" wounds. Perhaps a good test will be a
strong
challenger to his Lt. Governor's seat. We'll see.

John Scurich