[StBernard] American Idol

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed May 24 18:09:42 EDT 2006

I agree with much of what's said. Here's my take on what I'v experienced
this year:

1. They got it right this year. The last 4 were the better idol-potential

2. Kat is "technically" (and with her proper vocal training from mom, knows
correct breathing techniques (diaphram, rather than from the throat), and
Taylor sings from the "throat", but from the heart. He's entertaining (in a
spasmatic sort of way<G>), but so was Elvis and Joe Cocker <G>.

3. Kat sings the ballards (slower tunes) better because there's more
vocally-experienced "control" in her technique while Taylor can run the
gammit on raspy, upbeat tunes with his style. He's got the "Elvis" techique
of having to move with every nerve ending pulsating to the rhythms of his
being. Kat will sit there and charm you with her dazzling beauty and
excellent voice that can melt your heart to tears that are ever-flowing.
Notice how Kat can become "robotic" when asked to pick up the beat, while
Taylor will increase your heart-beat with each movement of his arms, legs
and torso?

4. Taylor, for the most part, has selected or (has them selected by others)
many of his tunes correctly. (*yes, even the songs written for their first
single) as you notice he can sing them because he believes/others believe
that he can sing them correctly and within his style. Yes, he'll "put them
away" so to speak. Kat, on the other hand hasn't done the better job of
selecting her proper tunes. (Although the "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" has
knowed the ball out of the park!! Notice: when selecting songs, it's best to
select songs you can sing, yes. However, one should select songs that would
prove to be popular with the IDOL Audience/fans/viewers. When contestants
try to pick ONLY what they love to sing, it comes to backfire. Therefore,
try to make the audience love the songs and don't try to ignore what will be
voting to keep you continuing to the American Idol title.

5. Taylor's never been to the "bottom two" to be considered going home
because of his success and knowing HOW to play the winning hand. Kat's been
on the bottom, but because of her popularity and others knowing she's got a
terrific voice, she's dodged the bullet more than Billy the Kid!!

Knowing all these factors, I'd say that Taylor will win. However, don't
count out Kat because she's the distant runner who's had a great deal a luck
with the better voice. Taylor's got the better entertainment factor, and
therefore "what do "I" know??? It's a tossup.

Lastly, BOTH will find lucrative recording contracts no matter who becomes
IDOL. I'd buy ANY of these 2's albums, although I do hope they both get good
writers. Kat's been on the short end while Taylor is a guitarists who can
probably write his own stuff. However, MANY writers will come forward for
both offering their wares to them. Hopefully, they will pick correctly as
I'd like a long-life career to both.

-==jer==-