[StBernard] demo, debris, Grass cut penalties

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 25 09:08:48 EDT 2006

Craig, exactly WHAT penalty is the government looking to impose upon
non-grass cutters for not cutting their grass? How many penalties/warnings
to the homeowners? What's the end-result for non-compliance (even though to
many who live hundreds of miles from their homestead)? At what point does it
get really serious?

Perhaps it could involve those who are awaiting their gutting or Road Home
recovery will be looking for their saving event before the parish nukes
their homes/property from existence..

Still, to many, it could be the equivilence of Organized Terror considering
how/why people are not around to manage their properties? One needs to
understand their situation as well as the government's side of things to
fully work out a successful recovery plan. Putting the parish in a bad light
(or CNN material, needlessly as will happen as we approach the anniversary
<and Anderson Cooper 360> will shine heavily to a sympathetic nation as the
world's microscope focuses once again on our proud and forced-humbling
ordeal.

Failing to consider the consequences of national press would make the
"big-bad wolf and his 3 pigs" seem minute by comparison to what an alerted
press would do when they jump on the sensationalism, perhaps.

That's why we need to know the consequences as to know when a line has been
drawn in the sand with 2 opposing sides at issue.

-==jer==-

Hey Deborah,

I am working on getting some lead on the demo time frame- the difficulty is
that the FEMA release process from the office of historic preservation
releases randomly so the ability at this point is limited in any real lead
time. The overall picture is that over the next six months the majority of
the homes should be done (I'm cautiously optimistic about this).

The new construction debris is a hard line decision that FEMA is sticking
to. I will get some media coverage on this issue. FEMA states that they
let this go for some time and are now tightening up on the loose ends of how
things have been done.

Because our process has been tied up in review for so long, we are now
mixing the new construction with the old debris. Funny, I see it all as
being storm related- haven't known of an entire community to simultaneously
do mass renovations.

The only good news on this is that we keep badgering them about the insanity
of their interpretations of the rules and if you still have a debris pile
out front, be sure to mix the new and old together, at the very least make
em work for their insanity.

Good luck and God Bless,
Craig