[StBernard] Website Webcast - Council Meetings

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 25 22:00:26 EDT 2006

Folks, I've had the opportunity to view the council meetings online (via the
SBPG website) and wished to express my opinion of it's happenings.

Firstly, I've never seen a more disorderly council meeting (Online: May 2,
2006). It was unprofessional and closely resembled a Judy Hoffsmeister
"Roast" than an orderly professional one.

There was more chaos and disruption, complete with insults. There was out an
out of order "Keystone Cops" parody with audience discussions, and everyone
talking and laughing simultaneously. I was embarrased to view it, and
compared to other professional council meetings I've seen in other
communities, the immaturity (overridden by Mr. Madary and "Cheap" jokes with
responsive laughter by others).

Councilmen who appear to disagree with a resolution or one's viewpoint
seemed to express their body language with rocking back and forth in
"comfortable leather rockers" with "fixed/glazed" appearances. Notes, passed
back and forth with other's opinions to interject ideas, etc.

Granted, the room is smaller. But, do our respresentatives need to set this
type of example? The camera work had me spinning from panning side to side
instead of situating Ken's camera towards the back rear. Also, it's been
almost a month ago. Couldn't it be much more updated within a two-week (or
very last meeting?).

They need to settle down more in hopes that they realize the gravity of this
tragedy and knock off the comedy routine. People are not going to the
council meetings and now watch it in streaming video to be entertained.
They're there to address many of their anxieties, and to see
laws/ordinances/issues passed and dealt with in a successful meeting.

Yes, be relaxed and with ease. However, please be professional and get the
people's work underway. We wouldn't want to go past the image we're
protrayed in a laughing stock one. How can FEMA be serious about our plight
when our meetings are not taken as such? When guests visit to help discuss
help, suggestions or there for a presentation, will frolic be the norm?

Just an observation. Whether it plays out to fruition or not is yet to be
seen.

--jer--