[StBernard] Don't Tread On Me

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 30 23:40:37 EDT 2006

Laurie and all,

The leaders have the task to consider where this community is heading- to
not set guidelines to move the recovery forward is negligent. While there
are hardships for many- keep in mind that the motivation to respond is
relative to the perceived payoff- Think of this- if we were offering a
monetary bonus for doing what is each homeowner's responsibility, there
would be a different level of compliance. This post will bring fire from
some- but I and the other council members have been in this up to our ears
and experience many of the same frustrations that every other resident has.
Our decisions will in many cases be unpopular and will be criticized by
people who will have different opinions and the "right answers". This will
not deter the task at hand to push this community forward- truth be told-
we have waited too long to push this issue and have allowed too long of a
wait and too much of a dependency on programs that will not be the answer.
Remember that these guidelines will also apply to the business
establishments that have done nothing to this point.

As far as green space issues- this issue is still misunderstood. There is
not enough money to force people into buyouts and the reality of the LRA
plan continues to fall short for what most people will need. Translation-
if a person has not made the decision to demolish their home, the home must
be cleaned.

As far as the windows- there will be some flexibility with this issue-
probably things like front windows being closed in with plexiglass or
similar clear materials and rear windows may be allowed to boarded.

While people choose to target the local governmental officials as
traumatizing them further and creating more problems than solutions. I
would encourage people to vent as they must, but then get on board with
productive actions.

Good luck to all and God Bless,
Craig