[StBernard] Agree to Disagree

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 30 23:46:46 EDT 2006

Big Dave, I must say that I enjoyed most people from the st. Bernard's area
and somehow, Katrina changed things. (However, I'm not sure it's always the
case, "for the better". We're at each other's throat for a number of
reasons, but primarily because there are entirely too many resources missing
from the equation--one being not enough funds to go around. Somehow, folks
who were given us help (external to our area), have gotten the impression
that everything is fine now and hunky-dorey. They don't realize the enormity
of our plight and thus (in many situations) a year should have been enough
to get everyone "repaired". So far from the truth for both residential AND
business owners who took a double wammy: their personal AND business took
the beating. Property owners other than their primary residence, likewise.
Many can't afford medical, dental and home insurances as payments are due.
Bills continue beyond a sliver of recovery.

Other reasons is manpower. Not enough to go around. Folks just believe that
we're healed or to the point that we don't have to struggle any longer.
Emotionally, for some, it may never be over. Financially for others, the
same.

It is rather strange that politicans have taken a hard-lined stance on
peoples' lives. For some reason, if I were in control that many are in
parish government, I would be utilizing the Internet, Parish-TV, News and
TV/Radio media to reassure citizens (and NOT just local ones no long
misplaced) that they are in our corner, will fight to the end for us and do
everything in their power to help everyone (not single out specific
parishioners). When campaign promises were being made, there was a myriad
promises about how everyone in the parish's ills would be addressed, "no one
left behind because we're all in this together and our future will be
rosey". Dicounting what happened with Katrina, of course, would break
promises if it were just such. But, it have to take away our leader's
reassurance that the fight must go on.

Somehow, I didn't see the fire to help since Katrina. (all except for
putting all eggs in one basket for the MRGO, and still, there's compromise
after compromise with little fire in one's heart and voice.

But, to your question, do we have to fight our own people? It's hard to
tell. Some are defensive enough to ignore pleas for assistance they may
never receive from here onward. "Suck it up?" Sheesh. If it were that
simple, we wouldn't be "encouraged" to dismiss our feelings, contrary to the
degree of how we were affected. Yes, some are stronger emotionally, some are
stronger finacially and some are stronger--vocally. I don't let it bother
me, but I do get irked when people "pretend" the end is near for our
dilemmas--too far from the truth. We simply can't wish it out of our minds
with any magic wand provided by some who feel every crisis has terminated.
First, the storm..then the aftermath-the second storm of ostracizement,
ridicule, financial woes and distress.

..and what's coming in the upcoming storm season can bring enough anxiety to
start the process over. We pray not!

--jer--