[StBernard] Grant Money

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 2 14:55:49 EDT 2006

Melissa, (all):

The video from the last big meeting held last month addressed the issue
(it's on the www.lpb.org site).

http://www.lpb.org/programs/LApublicsquare/topic.cfm?MonthofEvent=5&YearofEv
ent=2006 or:
http://www.lpb.org/programs/LApublicsquare/

According to an answer to the renter's question, no. The owner (lessor/home
owner) of the property rental has recourse however. But the answer also
covered the fact that renters can also be eligible for HUD housing and an
opportunity to become a homeowner themselves. (which leads me to wonder
about non-St. Bernardians be given homes of ours fixed up (after buyouts,
foreclosures and sales), to be then be up for modest pricing for this
purpose. It's what I gathered from watching the video, and stand to be
corrected if I'm incorrect in the matter.

However, I will have to depend upon the Road Home project as my sense of
recovery. It's too bad and too sad that the governments are pushing so fast
to recover that in the same mouthful---poisons the hopeful with deed
takeovers for non-compliance with grass-cutting, etc. BEFORE the Road Home
plan can be inititated. Sort of like filling a bucket (our Road Home Hope)
with the bucket having holes (the recovery plan sort by the magnanimous
planners believing their design for our recovery was an auspicious one)

--sort of like the firing squad (leaders) firing upon the guilty (Katrina)
before we've had a chance to be clear of the gunfire ---while tying on the
blindfold. We simply have to wait for the appropriate time considering the
curse we've faced. Timing is everything because weak recovery which leaves
few options is a poor choice. It just leaves a sour taste upon St.
Bernardian's palates--a flavor/aroma he/she is not likely to forget anytime
soon.

--Jer--

Originally they were going to deduct your insurance money, but they added a
new admendment. The Senate approved it, so it got sent to the House and they
are the ones that added the admendment stating that insurance money cannot
be deducted. They UNANIMOUSLY approved the admendment. Apparantly, the House
thinks as we do, that it would punish those of us who did the right thing as
actually paid for insurance. So, because of the admendment, the bill went
back to the Senate so they could vote on the changes. Haven't heard anything
since then. I'm not sure if it will benefit renters, since the money is
based on house value, but information about it can be found at
<louisiana.gov>. There's a link for the Road Home Program. Has anybody heard
anything new on it yet? News would be appreciated, if there's any.

Melissa