[StBernard] REMINDER….REMINDER…

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jun 4 00:31:43 EDT 2006

Dear Fellow St. Bernardians:

We have just been informed of the following information…

OF HIGH IMPORTANCE!

On August 28, at midnight, your rights under the terms of your property insurance policy could end with regards to your Hurricane Katrina claims. For Hurricane Rita claims, the date is midnight September 22, 2006.

Most insurance policies contain a limitation of twelve months for a policyholder to bring a lawsuit against his insurer.

What that could mean is that, on the one year anniversary of the storm, policyholders will no longer be able to collect from their insurance company, even if they have filed a claim and been partially paid on that claim.

To reserve your rights, contact your insurance agent or insurance company immediately and request an extension of your contract in writing for a least 12 months or until your claim achieves a final settlement.

Because the legislature is prohibited by the State and Federal Constitution from impairing a contract between two private parties, we are unable to simply change the law to protect our constituents.

Again, if you believe that your claim will not be settled by August 28, please contact your agent immediately and request an extension in writing from your insurance carrier. If you fail to receive an extension by August 15, 2006, contact your attorney to insure that your rights are preserved.

This does not apply to policyholders of Citizens or foremost, as their forms filed with the Department of Insurance gives policyholders 24 months to complete a claim.

Please let us know if you need any assistance with this matter. Miss you all!

Love, NITA