[StBernard] Louisiana residents should “Be Aware and Stay Prepared”

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jun 4 00:31:58 EDT 2006

The following is forwarded to you by request of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Hurricane Season Is Here

Louisiana residents should “Be Aware and Stay Prepared”

NEW ORLEANS – Scientists predict that warmer waters in the Atlantic Ocean will continue to cause destructive hurricanes of the magnitude of the storms that ripped through the Gulf Coast States during the past two years. If forecasts are correct, the 2006 season could be comparable to the storm-filled seasons of 2004 and 2005 – the costliest on record.

Emergency preparedness officials with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the State of Louisiana remind everyone to get familiar with local evacuation plans, have a family emergency plan, and make an emergency supply kit.

Evacuation plans have been drawn up by state and local governments. Residents need to be aware and stay prepared. If a hurricane watch is announced, listen to news reports for local evacuation orders. Depending on where you live, you may be asked to evacuate to a safer location between one and two days ahead of the storm.

If a hurricane warning is announced, a storm with winds greater than 74 miles per hour will strike within 24 hours. Storms with winds in this range are called Category 1 hurricanes and they can cause wind damage and flooding, as well as tornado damage. Categories 2 through 5 hurricanes are progressively worse and demand your full attention.

“Much of the responsibility is on all of us living in Louisiana to prepare ourselves and our families,” said Jim Stark, acting director of FEMA’s Transitional Recovery Office in Louisiana. “We all need to share with our family members exactly how we will communicate and where we will go if we are told to evacuate. We need to assemble a three-day supply of food, water and other supplies for our emergency supply kit.”

Here is a sampling of things to do to be aware and stay prepared:

* Important items to pack include a battery-powered radio, flashlight, extra batteries, medicines, non-perishable food, hand operated can opener, utility knife, and first aid supplies.
* Copy and store in a waterproof bag your important documents such as medical records, contracts, deeds, leases, banking records, insurance records and birth certificates.
* Keep your vehicle fueled and pack some cash and a credit card. Gas pumps and ATMs may not be working.
* If your household includes a person with a disability, you may need to take special steps to assist them. Remember their medications and travel requirements as you make your plan to shelter in place or to evacuate.
* Pets also require special handling. They may become agitated during the onset of a storm, so a pet carrier is a must when you travel. Know where you will board your pet if there is not room where you are going.

After the storm you should wait for an announcement from local officials before you return home. You’ll need to bring necessary food and water and clothing in the event that some services are not available in your community. If you had flooding, watch for other problems such as live electric wires, insects, snakes, and mold.

Officials say that the key to a safe departure and return is careful advance planning. More information about how

to prepare for disaster and how to clean up after a disaster is available online at www.ready.gov <http://www.ready.gov/> or by calling

1-800-BE-READY.