[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish Council disagrees with FEMA's elevation advisories

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 8 16:31:55 EDT 2006

Fact: IF THE COUNCIL DOES NOT ADOPT THE FEMA ADVISORY WE WILL NOT BE
ELIGIBLE LRA FUNDS. (amongst other things like ICC money for elevation)

I agree that FEMA may change it's recommendations in 12-18 months, but that
is not the point. We must adopt this recommendation to get "our" money.
Like it or not, that is how the game is being played. Do you think they are
going to change the rules for us? I am well aware it will be at least 3
more months before we see any money, but if the council doesn't adopt the
advisory we will NEVER see the money * that is the point. So yes, accepting
the guidelines does mean squat * it means the only hope some people have of
starting their life over. Whether it be a grant to rebuild/repair or a
buy-out * thousands of people are counting on this money.

I question the reason the council has not adopted the guidelines.

SLM

I can't answer for the council, but let me say this. Accepting or not
accepting the advisory guidelines doesn't mean squat. When the new maps
come out 12-18 months from now, they may or may not resemble the advisory
guidelines. In other words, FEMA says 3 feet today. A year from now they
may say 8 feet or they even say no change.

As long as you follow the current map, you will be grandfathered in. If you
want LRA money, then you need to follow LRA's rules (just like they are
following the Fed's rules since they are giving us our money back).

As for when anyone will ever see any money, you are probably looking at
least three more months.

Westley