[StBernard] insurance extensions

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jun 12 21:26:32 EDT 2006

Representative Nita Hutter had a letter or post on here telling everyone to
request and extension from their insurance company because we are coming up
on the one year anniversary for insurance companies to pay for Katrina
claims and most of us will not be finished our repairs by that time. So if
you have not settled completely or if you have replacement value on your
policy you need to get an extension. I called my company, State Farm, and
they would not grant the extension. They told me I needed to get a general
contractor and get repair estimates on everything before the year limit was
over. They realized this would be a hard thing to do because I have
multiple rental properties in addition to my home but said it could be done
in time. They would not budge no matter how much I argued, and I can argue.

They sighted some state law of one year that tied their hands and that Ms
Hutter would have to get that law changed if she wanted her constiuents to
have more than a year. It was a supervisor I spoke with. I know they could
grant the extension if they wanted to and they are hiding behind this "law".

Has anyone else had any luck or have a suggestions to recieving an
extension? I am having a hard time getting anyone to come out and give me
estimates. They don't show up or answer the phone.

Laurie