[StBernard] Murphy Cleanup

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 16 08:54:12 EDT 2006

Carol and Melissa:

We share your frustration. First, after SIX months of telphone requests we
finally received the results of the tests performed on our property.
Unfortunately, it is written in a manner that makes no sense to the ordinary
person. Repeated telephone calls asking for someone to call back and
identify what the results actually mean. EVERY time I call they take my
name and number and promise that someone will return my call in a few days.
I have yet to receive a response.

Second, the settlement agreement states that they "will scrub and clean your
pool", yet they informed me that this means that they will drain the pool 13
inches and scrub along the "ring line". Despite the pictures I have to
prove otherwise, my calls continue to go unanswered. When we drained our
pool we took pictures proving that there was no oil ring at the top nor the
bottom of our pool (only the middle section had a black stain which we were
unable to remove), Murphy still contended that their definition of
"scrubbing and cleaning the pool" meant only the top of the pool where the
oil floated on the top of the water. Forget the fact that the water level
changed throughout the six months after the storm. Obviously this is a
breach of contract that every pool owner should get together to file a class
action suit against Murphy since writing to Mr.Hulse about this did not even
merit a response. So much for my previous communications commending him for
his interest in ST. Bernard.

Last, as far as removing the soil and replacing it, once again eight months
later I was informed that Murphy would only remove the soil if it tested for
oil, and their tests did not indicate any traces of oil. The oil line
across our television and walls was apparently a figment of my imagination
since no oil was found on my lawn. I had to spend $200 for a bobcat
operator to clean my yard, rather than continue to fight with Murphy. It
appears that Murphy has no intention of honoring their earlier promise to
replace the soil except when they are forced to.

In the early stages I commended Murphy and Mr. Hulse for their commitment to
address the oil related issues - Apparently I was wrong.

John Richardson

I have the exact same problem. Called several times and always told
they
would call back. Nothing, nada, zip. The last time I called, the
woman gave
me a new number and said that this number you call to set up an
appointment.
Its 1-800-643-5760. I just called that a minute ago. They take your
info and
"someone will call you back". We've even told them that we are
living there
and ready to begin construction in the hopes that they will call
soon
because of that . But like everything else lately, no progress.
Frustrating
beyond belief. I wonder if other natural disaster victims have the
same
problems with government, insurance, and various companies and that
we seem
to be going through. What we need is some serious national and
international
exposure solely on our parish, not New Orleans. I think the world
has heard
enough about New Orleans's problems and almost nothing on St
Tammany,
Plaquemines, and St Bernard. Anyway, good luck getting Murphy to
come out,
you'll need it.

Melissa