[StBernard] Weekly Update from Bobby - June 21, 2006

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 22 18:39:23 EDT 2006

An Update from Bobby
June 21, 2006
Dear friends,

Winning a fair share for our state

Today was a great day for Louisiana! The House of Representatives Resources
Committee voted 29 to 9 just hours ago to approve my bill to provide
Louisiana with a fair share of energy royalties produced off our coast.
After months of working to convince my colleagues of the importance of this
bill, I am thrilled that Democrats and Republicans on the committee agreed,
and voted to send my legislation to the full House of Representatives for a
vote. The leadership in the House has said a vote in the full House will
happen next week.

This legislation has gained national attention and support from groups like
Ducks Unlimited, Safari Club International and The Wildlife Society. My bill
also gained the endorsement this week of the Heritage Foundation, a national
policy organization. You can read the full Heritage endorsement here:

http://www.heritage.org/Research/EnergyandEnvironment/upload/wm_1135.pdf
<http://www.heritage.org/Research/EnergyandEnvironment/upload/wm_1135.pdf>

After decades of Louisiana fighting for its fair share, we are now closer
than ever before to getting the money that will allow us to increase flood
and hurricane protection, restore our coastline, and improve the state's
infrastructure. Once fully implemented, my bill will provide our state with
$2.6 billion a year.

This legislation will also reduce our country's reliance on foreign sources
of energy by encouraging more domestic production and thus lower energy
prices throughout the United States. The increase in energy prices over the
last year has highlighted the need for conservation, alternative energy
sources, renewable energy, and more domestic production.

Also, during debate of my bill an amendment was added that will give schools
in Louisiana $18 million over five years, funding generated from timber
sales in local national forest land. When this program was first implemented
years ago, it provided parishes with 25 percent of the revenues generated
from sale of local timber to use on infrastructure and schools. This
amendment was added to the final bill and will provide Louisiana schools
with much-needed additional funding.

Eliminating the waste, fraud and abuse in the recovery process

Last week, Congressional investigators released a report outlining the
different ways that the government handed out $1.4 billion in bogus
assistance in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. There are cases
where our tax dollars were used to pay for luxury vacations to Hawaii, $800
purses, and other fraudulent claims. There was a case of a man using a New
Orleans cemetery address to make a FEMA claim. Other individuals used
multiple Social Security numbers to make numerous FEMA claims. Cases like
these are unacceptable and absurd.

I am appalled at the waste and fraud in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina
and Rita, especially because so many people on the ground in Louisiana are
still awaiting help to rebuild their homes and lives. I have been a vocal
advocate in Congress for cracking down on the abuse in the recovery process.

During debate of a recent Homeland Security bill, I offered an amendment
that will require FEMA to implement identity verification controls to
curtail waste, fraud and abuse. This bill passed the House of
Representatives with my amendment intact and now awaits action in the U.S.
Senate.

Last week, the Heritage Foundation also came out in support of a bill I
recently introduced to cut through the bureaucratic red tape to expedite
recovery. You can access this report at:

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Regulation/wm1126.cfm
<http://www.heritage.org/Research/Regulation/wm1126.cfm>

Also, my colleagues and I passed legislation yesterday to impose fines of up
to $1 million and prison terms of up to 30 years for fraud in connection
with a major disaster or emergency. I have told my colleagues that the
people of Louisiana are tired of the waste, fraud, and abuse that have
plagued this recovery at all levels, and I will continue to work to fix the
emergency response system so that the money Congress allocated to Louisiana
makes it to the people who need it most.

Protecting our kids in school

Last week, my colleagues and I voted to protect children by allowing the
Attorney General to conduct fingerprint-based checks of public or private
school employees, job applicants, or volunteers for positions involving work
with or around children. We cannot do enough to protect our children from
individuals who seek to do them harm. When I send my daughter to school, I
want to know that the people she interacts with do not have a criminal
history. This bill will link state and national criminal databases to make
sure pedophiles are not hired as teachers or coaches, and this legislation
now awaits action in the U.S. Senate.

Celebrating Father's Day

On Sunday, my wife and I had a great time celebrating Father's Day with our
two kids. I spent the day admiring the many hand-made cards that my daughter
and son made for me, and then spent what seemed like hours at the park in
our neighborhood. Before my wife and I had children, I could never have
imagined what it would be like to have kids, but they truly provide me with
a joy that I did not know was possible.

I will keep you informed as more happens in Washington, D.C., but as always,
please feel free to contact my offices to share your views and concerns.

Sincerely,

Bobby Jindal