[StBernard] PETS

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jun 25 10:32:03 EDT 2006

With hurricane season on us again we need to make sure that our nation’s animals will be protected before and after a disaster.

Please tell your U.S. Senators to support the PETS bill and help make sure pets are cared for before, and after, a disaster>> <http://go.care2.com/e/lfS/M3/raKk> http://go.care2.com/e/lfS/M3/raKk <http://go.care2.com/e/lfS/M3/raKk>

Responding to the need for better plans to deal with animals during disasters, Congress introduced bills in both houses. The House of Representatives passed a bill that would ensure that all states take into account the needs of animals when drawing up emergency and evacuation plans, but it does not provide any funding to increase shelter capacity, or states to be reimbursed for actions taken to protect animal life.

The Senate version of the PETS bill is an important improvement over the House version. This bill acknowledges the federal government’s responsibility to provide funding to help states and localities cover the additional costs of animal shelter, care and reunion. Without federal funding, states will be unable to put into place the systems of care and recovery we know are needed to provide for the needs of families with pets. It is vital that the Senate approve legislation that would require the federal government to reimburse states for the costs of rescuing and sheltering animals and reuniting them with their human families.

Please contact your Senators and urge them to make sure the final version of the PETS Act provides funding to increase America's ability to protect animals when disaster strikes>> <http://go.care2.com/e/lfS/M3/raKk> http://go.care2.com/e/lfS/M3/raKk <http://go.care2.com/e/lfS/M3/raKk>

Sincerely,

Michael Lawley,
Care2 and ThePetitionSite team