[StBernard] Lost Katrina cats in chalmette can you post a link?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jun 26 08:43:01 EDT 2006

Dear Westley,

I was given your email address by a participant at the SBP forum on
nola.com.
Send an email to westley at da-parish.com and put in info. This is site which
answers questions for St. Bernard residents and I think he could help you\

I am a volunteer who has been helping to reunite people and pets since mid
September. Currently I am trying to assist the Animal Rescue New Orleans
(ARNO) food/water volunteer for Chalmette. More specifically we are
working in the area of the Murphy Oil Spill, Paris Rd. to Jacob drive.

We have been successful in locating 6 owners of cats still on the streets
and are working to get them trapped and back home. However I know I am not
connecting with all owners. Many of these residents do not have internet,
or did not know about the petfinder AERN database for lost/left pets.

A case in point. Renee picked up a wonderfully sweet black and white kitty
on Friday evening . She had established a new feeding station at the 3208
Decomine residence at the request of the owner. He has seen one of his cats
in the area but cannot catch her. So we are trying to trap there. While
there this B&W kitty come meowing up the road to Renee. He likes to be held
upside down like a baby and "talks" constantly. He is neutered. He is
beat up, thin and missing fur looks like he has been on the streets a long
time, but he is so loving. He must be someones pet, but I have just
exhausted all sources of people known to be missing Black and White male
cats in the area.

I am looking for a way to destribute the photos of the cats that are being
fed or trapped to the former and current residents of the neighborhood.
Often times, even it someone didn't own the cat they will know it from the
neighborhood, and can give input as to where to look for a owner or if the
cat was a stray that was fed, but didn't really belong to anyone.

We have purchased a motion activated camera to take photographs of the cats
at the feeding stations. This has been a slow process as Renee travels from
MS to feed. So it takes two weeks to get photos from one feeding station.

This is the link to our photo site on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36983621@N00/

and the link directly to the cats set
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36983621@N00/sets/72057594127563539/

The set labeled Lady and kittens is a known owned cat, who is now pregnant
with her third litter, has two kittens about 12 weeks old with her, and an
older kitten who was born shortly after Katrina. We found this owner by
pure luck, and got photos due to the motion camera. This owner has been
back many times looking for their two cats but never saw them. They were
certain they must have died. This is a common thought as these cats hide,
even from their owners.

If there is any way you may be able to help get the word out to community
members to please look at these photos and let us know if they recognize any
of these cats it would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Denise Leja
505-354-6708