[StBernard] Stupid FEMA Tricks

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 29 22:51:37 EDT 2006

Westley,

If you know the particular Title of the U.S. Code (or CFR) for an agency you
can obtain a copy of that from the Govt. Printing Office. For FEMA it's the
Stafford Act.

I googled one time and found an online reference to it on a website at some
law school and posted same here.

I'm sure the GPO probably has CD versions of the bound copies available
also. I'd suggest that parishes have lots of copies of that available. And
the question to the FEMA rep who denies whatever would be: What part of
Title [whatever] does this action, thing violate or would not be in
compliance?

Just my 2 cents on it.

Jim York

This is in response to the article about rebuilding the schools from
a few
days ago.

Quotes from the article:
"Donors showered St. Bernard with enough supplies to fill a spare
classroom
floor-to-ceiling and FEMA will cover 90% of rebuilding. But Voitier
can't
financed the other 10% - strict rules forbid using other relief
money to
make up the 10%."

"She says the rules sometimes border on comical: After she put
together the
laundromat - a fire marshal had declared the trailer unfit for
classroom use
- FEMA reported her for misusing federal property."

As long as it is not FEMA money, who cares how they make up the
other 10%?
This is like telling a man dying of thirst in the desert, I'll give
you all
the water you can drink, but first you must have a Waterford Crystal
Goblet
to drink it from. It just seems at times you need to have "three
Philadelphia lawyers" with you at all times when dealing with FEMA.

I wish the article gave the name of the fire marshal. I would love
to know
who declared for all that you cannot use a Laundromat for a
classroom. From
what little I can see, it looks like there was no intention to use
it as a
classroom to begin with.

Perhaps we should start sending letters to the editor. Don't give us
positions without giving us names. Who is this genius of a fire
marshal?

By the same token, who is FEMA? SBA?

Collectively, I think we need to stop accepting a generic answer,
"The rules
say we can't do this." Everything FEMA and SBA does is governed
either by a
Congressionally passed law or an Executive Order signed by the
President,
usually the former. Last time I checked, it was all public record (I
realize some Executive Orders are sealed, but I can't see how
anything
pertaining to FEMA or SBA would be considered something that needs
to be
sealed).

Don't accept handbooks as a final answer any more. Ask for the law
that
governs any decision made by FEMA, HUD, or SBA and look it up
yourself. If
it is too complicated to understand, ask others. If need be, visit
one of
the local law schools.

Until someone starts questioning their interpretations, we don't
know if
they are right. If they are right, but stupid, we can then working
on
getting them changed.

Westley