[StBernard] Deadlines and lame horses

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 29 22:51:54 EDT 2006

John, I believe you're correct in your opinion. In my experience, many
legislatures, whether locally, statewide, or national firmly believe that
"citizen Joe/Jane" cannot possibly make a well-thought-out, reasonable,
make-sense decision on their own. It's instilled in the lawmaker that these
"ignorant people" are a danger to themselves, family and their community, so
these legislators need to make decisions they feel are within personal
opinioned ones, even though they feel it is unpopular with the citizens.

Going against the grain can work two birds with one stone: One is to benefit
in some capacity from the vote on which they are on the winning side, and
two because the populace carries with their ideas, some degree of stupidity
and ignorance of the law, they are easily manipulated to that way of
thinking.

The legislator only has to "outwait" the citizen as time evolves, hoping we
stupid, backwoods St. Bernardians will soon forget any laws passed and thus
the citizens may feel that damage has been done with little recourse/action
to upset/challenge the system.

My father had a 5th grade education. I only wish as an educated man, that I
can ever achieve the degree of knowledge that he possessed/exhibited when it
came to affairs of the common sense.

We should pray for guidance. It's God against the powers that be, perhaps.

--jer--

C,

I have said before and I'll say it again. There are some on the Parish
Council who by the way they talk - and vote - sound like individuals who
have come to the conclusion they're either "not" running for re-election or
figure they're "not" going to get re-elected. This way they can feel free
to vote for whatever insane ordinances or deadlines they want since they're
not going to be around after next December (2007).

And, if any of them think they can actually get re-elected after some of
their actions - they're pipe dreaming!!! If someone thinks I'm wrong, then
let's take a look at the simple facts. First, as council members they serve
in a legislative position, meaning they are "supposed" to vote in a manner
they know or believe to be the majority opinion of the constituents in their
respective districts.

So, based on that, if you polled the people of St.Bernard parish by each
district and asked "do you or do you not want a deadline imposed where you
would be fined for not having doors or windows on your home?" Now, what do
you think would be the results of such a poll? I believe the results would
be so obvious that you don't even have to waste your time doing a poll.

Still, there are those on the parish council who appear to lack the common
sense to figure out the majority opionion and desires are of the people they
represent.

Now, one could argue "but don't we need to move forward, get things moving,
etc., etc. etc? Sure, but how we get moving and the goal of what we are
moving to has to be based on what "the people" want, not what the Council
thinks it needs to be. The bottom line is enough of the Parish Council just
isn't listening. And if people in St. Bernard "don't" want to move forward
with deadlines, etc. then so be it - that would be the "will of the people."
Clearly, no one is happy with the decisions that have been made - so what
does that tell ya?

I see a big turn over in the Parish Council after next year's elections -
but such a prediction isn't really putting yourself out on a limb.

John Scurich