[StBernard] LRA

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 3 21:42:58 EDT 2006

And if you decide to say your house is only 50% damaged so you do not have
to raise it 3 feet and the damage is really 90% damaged where do you get the
other 40% of the money to fix it. Seems you are stuck no matter which way
you go. People will have to live in houses only half finished.
Sue

David,

I'm gonna take a crack at this and I "think" I know what Craig would
reply.

The LRA has based eligibility for funds on everyone having to raise
a house
at least three feet off the ground as FEMA has stipulated. If your
house
was only damaged less than 50% then you won't qualify. If the
damage was
greater than 50% you qualify but would have to raise the slab house.
You
can get the ICC money for that but it is capped at, I believe, $30
thousand.
You can't raise the slab house for that amount of money. Also,
don't forget
that the LRA will deduct any insurance proceeds you received.

Sadly, in my mom's circumstances the house was not damaged that
badly and if
I try to get the damage rated higher, say, 50%, I then have to think
of
having the house raised. The cost to raise is not worth it.

So, I think the only St. Bernard folks who will "win" on this are
those who
have had or will have their St. Bernard house demoed, didn't have,
or had
some, flood or homeowners and are relocating somewhere within the
state of
Louisiana.

If I am correct in these assumptions, there will be a lot of
disappointed
Louisianians and a TON of money that won't be spent on the idea of
making
one "whole".

Jim York