[StBernard] Landrieu wants probe of late Corps flood protection report

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 10 23:55:03 EDT 2006

WASHINGTON - Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-New Orleans, today called for an
investigation into how and why the report from the Army Corps of Engineers
of Hurricane Protection Study preliminary report failed to outline steps for
providing Category 5 hurricane protection for the Louisiana coast and was
delivered 10 days past the June 30 deadline mandated by Congress.

"Clearly, the will of Congress has been ignored. To get the facts, I have
today asked the Senate Energy and Water Appropriations Subcommittee on which
I sit to hold investigative hearings into the matter. We need the facts and
our people need protection.

"Levee and flood control is a life-or-death situation for the people of
coastal Louisiana, and so, it is very disappointing that this report fails
to do what Congress mandated: Give us all the facts and show us what it will
take to protect coastal Louisiana," said Landrieu, a member of the Senate
Energy and Water Appropriations Conference Committee who inserted the
language requesting the report in the Fiscal Year 2006 Energy and Water
Appropriations bill. "There are numerous differences between the final text
and the report reviewed by the Corps/State Project Delivery Team, the Corps'
Independent Technical Review team, and the Independent Peer Review."

Landrieu was particularly incensed the report looks to have been altered to
eliminate "important technical information and proposals."

As a result, the modified report omits many recommendations that could have
helped protect the people of Louisiana and the nation they serve, she said.

Sen. David Vitter also issed the following statement: "Another week, another
disappointing announcement from the Corps of Engineers. Today, the Corps of
Engineers released their six-month report, which they were required to do by
law, but it included no specific project recommendations. This is extremely
disappointing because I have been in constant contact with the Corps and the
state on specific project recommendations. While these discussions seemed to
be progressing well, the Assistant Secretary of the Army decided to gut the
report and remove all substance from the report.

"This lack of leadership and ineptitude has become the rule rather than the
exception. Two weeks ago I expressed frustration with the Corps on their
repeated failures to meet self-imposed deadlines and goals. This report is
nothing more than another slap in the face of Louisiana.

"Our delegation is committed to receiving specific recommendations from the
Corps as directed in the law. I have negotiated a new provision for the
Senate's Corps' bill that provides an expedited approval process for
hurricane, flood and coastal protection projects in south Louisiana. While
the Corps' decision is a setback, I am committed to ensuring that red tape
is cut and the bureaucracy is eliminated