[StBernard] Governor's Statement on Army Corps' Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration report

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 10 23:51:25 EDT 2006

Governor's Statement on Army Corps' Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration report

"After months of work, I am pleased that the first step towards a comprehensive coastal plan is being released by the Corps today.

"However, I am very concerned that this report by the Corps falls short of what Congress asked for. Primarily, the report doesn't recommend expedited projects that would be a part of any comprehensive plan. These critical projects cannot wait another 18 months to be considered for action by Congress. Second, the report still reflects the Administration's desire that the Corps proceed under normal policy considerations. The Congress clearly acknowledged that Louisiana's situation is extremely urgent and directed the Corps to streamline its processes. This plan is so critical to our future that it cannot be dealt with as business as usual.

"I urge the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to honor the partnership with the State and to submit the original six-month report agreed to by the Corps and the State, who have worked in good faith over the past six months. The safety and sustainability of south Louisiana depends on it."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People www.louisianahelp.org