[StBernard] Governor's statement on states accountability of taxpayer dollars

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 10 23:50:31 EDT 2006

Governor's statement on state's accountability of taxpayer dollars

Let me clarify my comments regarding the review of the budget by my office and my comments regarding the appropriate level of accountability that accompanies the distribution of these funds.

An appropriate, stringent, and uniform accountability system for the distribution of state taxpayer dollars is necessary. This provides for state agencies, the Treasurer and the Commissioner of Administration to stand in partnership in protecting the states interests.

While I welcome comments regarding suggested items for veto in the state budget, I will not abandon our local communities who are in need of fire protection, sewer and water systems and additional resources for our children and the elderly. These communities have been either impacted by the storm or have served as caretaker parishes for our citizens.

The buck stops with me! My firm position is that accountability will continue to be our focus, not a wholesale abandonment of our local communities.

-30-

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People www.louisianahelp.org