[StBernard] Response to Mr. Charlie Fos

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jul 11 19:56:02 EDT 2006

WELL SAID MR. FOS!

I wholeheartedly agree with your comments. Seems to me that our parish
officials should be working towards helping homeowners that are not going to
be able to rebuild, restore or return, instead of doing everything in their
power to make it more difficult for us to do anything and then charging us
and putting liens on our property. Needless to say - for those of us that
didn't have flood insurance, if we would have received enough from our
homeowners insurance, we certainly would be rebuilding / restoring where we
could. Many of us are still paying mortgages on these properties that
aren't worth anything right now. Obviously they don't have OUR best
interest at heart.

I've been trying to get reimbursed for my vehicle that we left on the
Mississippi River levee. It was commandeered, used, and pretty much ruined
during the months following Katrina by the Parish Homeland Security Office.
Since October 2005, we've been promised a new truck, then promised a
replacement truck, then promised a fair dollar amount, and now finally NINE
MONTHS LATER they want to give us WHAT THEY THINK THE TRUCK IS WORTH TODAY.
Well needless to say - it's not worth too very much after they finished with
it. Seems like this would be something easy for them to fix - they used
it, they ruined it, it was there for them when they needed it, why should I
have to make a claim with my insurance company, why shouldn't they be
required to replace it?

By the way - priorities being what they are - one day my husband went to see
the Director of Homeland Security about this issue several months ago - he
couldn't see him at that time because it was time for him to walk his dog.

I've had it too! If I could, I'd sell my properties in St. Bernard in a
minute and not look back.

Karen Gares
A soon to be "former" St. Bernardian