[StBernard] Council Opposes Renting Property

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jul 11 20:10:12 EDT 2006

this is exactly why the parish has had and will continue to have the
problems they have brought upon themselves. you CANNOT discriminate. just
because someone doesn't want to own or can't afford to own a home, you don't
have the right to tell them where they can or cannot live. why this is
downright unamerican and even more it is discrimination in its most powerful
and illegalistic forms. i know because i went through this exact thing in a
wonderful and settled chalmette subdivision. i was actually told by several
st. bernard deputies that because i was a renter that i had no rights.
needless to say that i did find out that i did have the same rights as any
homeowner in that block and we went to court to prove it. and when we
received our just dues we decided that st. bernard just wasn't the place
that we wanted to raise our children or to pursue our american dream of
life, liberty, and happiness. so, guess what, we left the parish for good.
and we found a beautiful area where we could raise our children and live in
peace and harmony despite the differences in races, colors, or creeds. i
thank the good lord that he gave me the wherewithal to not turn a blind eye
or a deaf ear to those who are in need just because i have it and they
don't. oops, there i go again. sorry for the rant. GOD BLESS and KEEP THE
FAITH

Ben