[StBernard] New Rebuilding Ideas

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 12 22:49:27 EDT 2006

Donna
I don't see why not. I think it would more or less fall into traditional
building codes. I really wish I had internet so I could look into it, but I
don't think it will pose a big problem getting permits. I wasn't thinking of
a house that looked space age, but of incorporating some of the major
elements into a more traditional house. At the very least, if it worked,
then I would save hundreds and even thousands over the course of my lifetime
in reduced energy bills and etc. I can't imagine that the parish will
restrict anyone from doing this. It sounds like a win-win situation to me. I
actually got the idea watching the Discovery Channel. They did a show on a
recent solar decathalon in DC. Several teams of college students competed by
building a house from scratch that was powered only by solar energy. They
had to do normal everyday things like laundry, cooking, take hot showers,
and even drive a solar powered car. They were awarded points for correctly
finishing their appointed tasks. It was very interesting and I actually
learned a lot from it. I just wish I knew of someone who has already tried
some of these things. Ah well, someone has to be first.

The link it sounds like you tried to post, didn't make it through. Can you
try again?
Oh I almost forgot, I found out quite a while ago that fiberglass insulation
is not the only form of insulation out there. There is also an eco-friendly
type made from old denim jeans. From what I remember, it works just as well
and has no health risks like fiberglass. Its another something to look into.

Thanks Melissa

Melissa-

A friend of mine sent me this site shortly after Katrina as an alternative
to traditional housing. This is pretty much for those of us who are
demolishing our houses and start from scratch.

The only question I have now is, would the parish government/subdivision
'allow' this kind of house???

I'd love any input.

Thanks!

-Donna