[StBernard] Broadband Power Line

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jul 15 23:38:04 EDT 2006

Westley,

I'm very intrigued by everything I've read about the technology behind BPL.
It has been great for extremely rural areas, like out west, where it's never
been feasible for telephone/internet providers to run the latest high
tech/high speed service (like DSL).

You make an excellent point about if you're not happy with Entergy or CLECO
as your electrical provide, then why would you want them as your
telephone/internet provider? Still, while I might have problems with the
big energy companies, I'm not nearly as disgusted with them as I am with
BellSouth.

I spoke with a tech research person with Entergy some months back about the
future of BPL. He said they are definitely interested in it, but wasn't
sure how soon considering there is somewhat of an investment on their part
to place every few miles something he called a "relay box." He admitted
that Entergy could easily afford it, but why do it if they could partner
with someone else who would be willing to spend the bucks for the relays and
handle the tech/customer support end of it. So, I had to ask who were they
looking at partnering with. He said it would be someone like BellSouth or
AOL or MSN.

As he put it, they have much more experience managing such operations. What
they have plenty of is what's needed to carry the bandwidth - power lines.
But I told him it was the likes of BellSouth I was trying to get away from.
He said things would naturally be different since it was a different
technology being used. Further in our conversation he said if BPL works as
successfully as they believe it will, in a few years in could make all
present telephone line related technology obsolete. Only telephones might
still be using telephone lines. Internet, internet phone systems would all
be sent through the outer bandwidth of an electrical power line.

According to what I've read and this gentleman confirmed, BPL is several
times faster than the fastest thing out there and it should only run about
half the price since we already have all the necessary infrastructure in
place - electrical power lines.

It's been a while since I've read anything on it. If you happen to come
across any good articles on it, I'd appreciate it if you send it my way.

Thanks,
John Scurich