[StBernard] blighted list

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jul 15 23:50:11 EDT 2006

PD, your sentiments hit it perfectly. Why is this not this better understood
regarding one's need to obtain peace of mind? If would be glorious if those
who have stayed can better understand that people who's decision to not live
presently/in the future are not being spiteful as to ruin other's plans of
returning, living once again in "beautiful" St. Bernard (because it truly is
their choice or has been downtrodden financially and thus, feel a must to
stay)? Oh, it is quite a benefit to be able to handle chores, business and
socials from the inner parish and not have to deal with uncertainties and
hardships away. Let me tell you. It's tough living in the parish before and
after this tragedy with so little conveniences that we took for granted, shy
a year ago. Still I say that it is as tough to attempt to live a life away
from a beloved parish and community, having lost it all and looking for
"hand-ups" which can soothe each day's misery that we face. Talk about
Limbo? Each day miserably to us all similar to the day before, like a
scratched record, a recurring dream of nightmares plaguing our being
moment-by-moment. We remember the Twilight Zone of the 60's. It's that type
of situation for so many. Yet, how is this not understood?

Yes, I can attest that I am one of those poor unfortunates caught in a poor
situation as stated. For whatever reason one chooses to stay away from the
parish for any definite time period, understanding by those who made their
well-made plan to live (or endure as it may) years of bliss (or curse as it
may) is paramount. I admire their fortitude, motivation and devotion to get
some piece of what St. Bernard Parish again and even to make it a more
thriving place, for that matter if God is willing to be merciful to them for
the rest of their lifetime.

However, on the flip side, those who stay away may be classified into two
divisions: Firstly, they were made well off (whether they had significant
insurance or enjoyed the harvest of their labor throughout the years with
savings, etc. These had good foresight, made good decisions and/or possibly
could afford oodles of insurance and to them, my hat is off and bless them
for their good decisions.

On the other hand, for those who had ignorance (defined by not knowing
details, being naïve, etc.) or were told they didn’t need the coverage
<which they found out they did) or believed the Corps of Engineers <as
lawsuits are mounting>, Mr. Dean <who mentioned something prior to the storm
about a safe place to be is on the other side of a levee and wasn't one to
run from a storm <g>>, or were so confident that after a day they would
return to put their suitcases back in the attic, the stuggle is on. My heart
splinters from theis group, but not from any stupidity on their part, but
because of the grievous loss to their lives. Kicking the hell out of a
miserable soul is not my way of showing love for my neighbor. It only
reflects callousness, insensivity and an ignorance in itself.

All have lost something. Some more than others. Some have lost family as
they passed over, or had to separate to new jobs, new homes or states.
What's funny about that? Hitting them with a "verbal 2 by 4" is not going to
get anyone loved by man/woman/dog or God. Somehow, I feel the pain for both
those who will stay to make a go for it, and those who unfortunately can
never return because of the turn of unfortunate events.

However, remember. Many folks just months ago had to rely on others for
their meals, finances, and shelter. Some have stayed because they had no
other place to rest their heads. Others found a niche of comfort in knowing
the hurricane probably will not threaten them to the degree that they're
experienced with Katrina so stayed in their comfort zone. God love them both
as they are the meek that will inherit both St. Bernard Parish if they
stayed, or their newfound community if they chose freedome from anxiety
someplace out of harm's way.

As you say, PD. God asked folks not to judge (unfairly). And, to those not
into God, if there is judgement, do it as fairly as you would have you
believed in the Lord.

--jer--