[StBernard] Governor's response to the Notice of Sale for OCS Lease 200

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 17 22:48:59 EDT 2006

Governor's response to the Notice of Sale for OCS Lease 200

"The Federal Government announced today that it will proceed with the next oil and gas lease sale in the Gulf of Mexico. I cannot allow this to occur without sufficient assurance that MMS has adequately studied and considered the potential impact of such activities to the state's coastal resources and communities in the post-Katrina and post-Rita environment.

"Most importantly, I will not stand by as these activities continue without a Federal commitment to protect and restore the bountiful assets of coastal Louisiana. With over a third of America's oil and gas supply coming through the wetlands of coastal Louisiana, these are truly national assets - providing economic and energy security for the entire country. It is disappointing that it has come to this, but the Federal government has not heeded our repeated warnings. I am taking action.

"In the coming days I will use all legal powers afforded me under Federal and state law to protect the coa! st of Louisiana, and I will challenge Lease Sale 200 in court. Our lawyers have been hard at work and they will put forward the best possible case for Louisiana. I will continue this fight until such time that the Federal government and the Congress make a significant commitment to the long term sustainability and protection of coastal Louisiana."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People www.louisianahelp.org