[StBernard] Blighted List

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 17 23:15:45 EDT 2006

You know, Butch, we hear stories such as yours written over and over again.
These viewpoints are NOT clouded by our anger, frustration and ambition to
become whole and recovery seems hampered by an extremely
volatile/variable/changing set of circumstances occuring daily.

For the most part, most of our anxiety is based in the unknown, the
inability of the state and parish to offer immediate solutions to our most
urgent beckoning. Whether it is because they do not have the real answers
and are "winging it" as they go along, or have no real plans in place, we
tend become emotional or anxious at the results.

How can the tens of thousands of citizens, both in place and displaced be
all wrong during these distressed times? If voters can make the "correct"
decisions collectively to set a candidate on a path to victory as our
leaders, then how is it that they can't make good logical decisions
(collectively) about what they feel is happening to their lives? They're the
same body that put people in office, aren't they? Have they lost their sense
of reasoning? I think not. 80% are out there trying to figure out where
there future lies. I suppose that if they are polled as a representative
sample, with a question asked, "Are you at the place you wish to be,
financially and emotionally because of the negative impact placed upon you
by Hurricane Katrina last summer", you can surmise what the majority would
answer.

Yes, things are moving slow financially and on the contrast, TOO FAST for
the parish to assume that with by a one-year, annual dateline, we have to
have everything in place prior to the Road Home project's ability to help so
many be better positioned to deal with such tragedy. At least with the time
extended to have the Road Home (LRA) do its thing firstly, we would be
better off to make the decisions. If the parish wishes speed, perhaps they
should or seek to government to assist us in paying for the gutting, the
permits, the financial end that HAS so many waiting, waiting, waiting.

Do we believe the majority just WISH to leave St. Bernard Parish a cesspool?
NO, emphatically. Most of us displaced want our former neighbors, friends
and relatives live a happy life in their homes they're repairing. We wish it
to be so and certainly don't wish that they live in blighted neighborhoods,
upset that the majority will not do so out of contempt for or are just
pi$$ed off by the parish's movement to offer them comfort during this
distressed time. Most of us are loving, caring and are consider now as we
were when our lives were more secure. On behalf of both sides, FDR can quote
through me, "the only thing to fear is fear itself".

I'm facing that fear of what might/will happen. The unknown--alas, as we
trape forward with insecurity. <sigh>

--Jer--