[StBernard] St. Bernardian is one of 6 finalists

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 17 23:18:31 EDT 2006

I thought you all might want to share this with your friends/families. Some
good news about a St. Bernard native.

METROSTUDIO named finalist in Global Green USA project

Firm one of only two in New Orleans picked for Phase II

NEW ORLEANS, July 17, 2006 - Global Green USA has picked METROSTUDIO New
Orleans as one of five finalists in its competition to find ecologically
friendly designs to rebuild the city's hurricane ravaged neighborhoods.

METROSTUDIO is also one of only two New Orleans firms to make the cut.

National environmental organization Global Green USA is holding a
competition to choose ecologically sound designs for rebuilding New Orleans'
neighborhoods. The competition received a boost from actor Brad Pitt, who is
leading a panel of architects, city residents and others who judged the
competition and picked the five finalists.

METROSTUDIO co-founder Kenneth Gowland said the firm wanted to create a
project that respected the history and traditions of New Orleans while
creating a bold vision for the city's future.

"This project is special to us because this is our hometown, we're
intimately familiar with the Holy Cross Historic District, and our offices
are just on the other side of the Industrial Canal," Gowland said. "Since it
was in our backyard we wanted to have a positive influence on it. I wanted
to create a design that would be a good example of how we can incorporate
sustainability into the wider architectural context of New Orleans."

METROSTUDIO's design, "Rebuild, Renew: Sustainable Design for the Holy Cross
Historic District," includes six single-family houses, a 12-unit apartment
building, a community center and a day-care facility. Gowland said the firm
took its cue from traditional housing types in NOLA and found inherent green
building characteristics, such as high ceilings and narrow floor plans, to
take advantage of natural ventilation.

METROSTUDIO New Orleans is an architecture firm founded after Hurricane
Katrina by Kenneth Gowland, Colleen Gowland and Robert Zwirn.

Kenneth Gowland is a graduate of Holy Cross High School in New Orleans. He
received his bachelor's degree in architecture from Louisiana State
University and master's at Yale University School of Architecture. He was an
architect with Cesar Pelli & Associates in New Haven, Conn., before
returning to New Orleans in spring 2005. Robert Zwirn is the former director
of the School of Architecture at LSU. Colleen Gowland is a graduate of
Louisiana State University and is a practicing graphic designer.

www.metrostudio.net

Contact: Kenneth Gowland
kgowland at metrostudio.net
(504) 813-1133