[StBernard] Returning residents list on sbpg.net

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 19 22:32:11 EDT 2006

Well Jim, I expressed my concerns to folks about people's info being made
readily available to netizens some time ago. Many would be surprised how
little info such as these can bring about huge amounts of info to a
"net-savvy" greaseball-gathering individual. It can be as little as spammers
placing you on their million-eMail a day spamlist to jokers around the world
gathering info that many deem private. Phone numbers, email, home addresses
and then once they get hold of some info might expand to include info like
credit card and soc/security numbers. Then they own you.

I've seen one site where a host of database info was hunted and gathered
from the memberlist, and used extensively by spammers, some to promote their
business, and others to use for God knows what. Somewhere in China, an HP
Printer was being used to print/record info, etc.. Imagine you don't even
have to open your e-mail, but the notion that it has been delivered, even
viewed in a split screen and they're gathered 15-20 cents per e-mail
delivered. Compound that by a million a day, and some dude has quite a
luxcrative business. Many are "out of country" and a huge conglomerate can
extend to Russia, China, the middle east and Germany, to cite a majority of
them.

So, be careful what you post or have readily available (as "public listings"
similar to the SBPG.NET site. Why make it easy for a$$e$ to have our stuff
lifted? Although, I've read where identity theft has declined in recent
years, there's still a thriving business yet by ID thieves. I don't even
like posting phone numbers, personally.

S0, as Rod Serling was quoted, "There's a signpost up ahead, you've just
entered into - the Twilight Zone."

--jer--

I am Jim York. We signed up for the returning residets list. I included my
email address.

I am beginning to get spam emails from people pulling email addresses from
the list. One was a "survey" asking about building a home, how much of a
note I could afford, etc.

I cannot edit the entry myself to remove my email address but I would like
to have the address removed.

You may contact me at: 504-421-5956 if you have questions.

Thank you in advance,

Jim York