[StBernard] Rodriguez, council bicker over expenses

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jul 20 22:23:50 EDT 2006

Rodriguez, council bicker over expenses
Loan request may escalate conflict
Tuesday, July 18, 2006
By Karen Turni Bazile
St. Bernard/Plaquemines bureau

A simmering conflict between the St. Bernard Parish Council and Parish
President Henry "Junior" Rodriguez's administration may escalate today as
the council discusses an administration request to borrow more money.

Rodriguez is asking the council to consider borrowing another $8 million to
prop up the government's finances at a time when several council members say
the parish must make difficult decisions in slashing its spending.

The council supported borrowing $8.9 million from the federal government in
a Community Disaster Loan shortly after Hurricane Katrina swamped the parish
last August. But Councilman Mark Madary says that money has been used to
support a "bloated payroll" and excessive overtime spending.

Madary said parish government has to learn to live within its means, "just
like citizens do."

Madary has also proposed eliminating the position of manager for the
government access channel since the parish has no cable television service.
That position reports to the council.

Several council members expressed similar concerns at an Executive-Finance
Committee meeting last week.

Rodriguez will be in Washington, D.C., to meet with federal officials and
won't attend today's 7 p.m. council meeting. But acting Chief Administrative
Officer Dave Peralta said the new loan would be used to start repairs on
major public buildings, not cover payroll.

"It's apples and oranges," Peralta said.

The overtime spending was legitimate, he said. Also, parish government isn't
replacing 27 departed employees, a move Peralta said will result in an
annual savings of $1 million.

"I understand the position of the council," Peralta said. "They have a
responsibility to control the budget. I'm asking for the loan strictly to
use for public projects, to get the buildings back and to get the gyms back
for our kids. We need a better working spot for our people to come to our
offices. They literally have to walk through debris to get to some of the
offices."

Although the Federal Emergency Management Agency will foot the lion's share
of the costs to repair public buildings, the parish needs the loan because
it must have the money to do the renovations before receiving FEMA money.

At the recent committee meeting, Rodriguez told council members they would
be foolish not to borrow the money.

"As far as the fiscal posture of this parish, we are not in so bad shape,"
he said. "Quit the gloom and doom. Quit looking at how we can keep
lambasting each other."

But when Councilman Joey DiFatta said it was important to live within the
current revenue, Rodriguez interrupted and the temperature of the discussion
quickly elevated.

"I know where this is going. I am not a damn fool," Rodriguez said.
Rodriguez said the council was posturing to attack some of the top
administrators in positions he has created since he became president in
2004, including brothers Alan Abadie, who is executive general counsel, and
Mike Abadie, who is his driver and bodyguard.

Madary said he believes there are superfluous administrative positions.

"We have given pay increases to people and created jobs I don't think we
need," Madary said. "I don't know how frugal that is."

Karen Turni Bazile can be reached at kturni at timespicayune.com or
(504)826-3335.