[StBernard] MINUTES OF OPERATIONS BRIEFING - July 24

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 26 00:14:50 EDT 2006

MINUTES OF OPERATIONS BRIEFING
Monday, July 24, 2006, 8:00 a.m.

Criag Taffaro, St. Bernard Councilmen, District D

Present: 27

Emergency Operations: Larry Ingargiola.
1. Question asked: When will our drains be cleaned out again? Merkl replied
that they are working on getting that done throughout the parish.
Community Development: Gina Hayes. Not present.

Public Works and Water and Sewer: Chris Merkl.
1. We are working on getting our complaints department back up and running
the phone number to call is 504-271-1681.
Curry reports:
1. We are getting a lot of cooperation with SHPO and we should have more
homes come online for demolishion.
2. We also have received permission to start picking up mud from residents
homes.

Recovery: David Dysart. Not present.

Public Assistance:
Residential: Craig Taffaro.
1. Trailers are still being delivered at a slow rate. We are leasing a few
at the Chalmette group site. The Maryann and Myrtel grove group sites will
be ready around mid August.
Allison Davis with FEMA reported: It will be 30 to 45 days before removal of
trailers will begin.
Business: Charles Ponstein.
1. Wendy's & Sonic fast food chains have notified us they will not be
returning as soon as they thought.
2. McDonalds & Winn Dixie are in the process of working 7 days a week on
their buildings and hoping to be open in September.
3. Also as a reminder that all businesses must apply to the clean up their
property by the August 29, 2006 deadline.

Private Non-Profit: Judy Hoffmeister. Not present.
Craig Taffaro reports: As a reminder the Home Expo will be held Saturday
July, 29, 2006 from 9-3:00 p.m. in the white and brown tent behind the
complex.
Volunteers: Gidget McDougall
1. Last week attended the LRA work shop and St. Bernard was very well
represented.
2. We met for our one year anniversary event for August 29, 2006 that will
be announced shortly along with the school board plans.
3. We did put a grant in for the Art in April approval.
4. Thursday July 27, 2006 from 4 to 9 p.m. there will be a linen set give
away in the Blockbuster parking lot on Judge Perez Drive in Chalmette.

Agriculture/Wildlife and Fisheries: Ricky Melerine.
1. Wednesday evening is the water ways meeting. I will report on Thursday
when the debris pickup will start in the bayous.
Lake Borgne Basin Levee District: Bob Turner. Not present.

Medical: Dr. Bryan Bertucci.
1. We are seeing 90 to 105 patients a day.
2. We have a meeting with Public Health that was formed by the LRA August
10, 2006.

EMS: Janie Fuller.
1. We have no major calls to report at this time.

Public Safety: Sheriff's Office. Pete Tufaro. Not present.

Fire Department: Armand Buuck
1. We had 32 EMS calls over the weekend, 5 auto, 1 trash fire.

Environmental Issues:
CDC and DEQ: Wayne Desselle.
1. Thursday met with CCA for 10:30 (they didn't arrive until after 12:00
noon). They did have two pieces of equipment fail and they are working on
getting that corrected.

EPA: Not present.
Murphy Oil: Jim Wallwork. Not present.

Parish Government:
Parks and Recreation: Ronnie Neil
1. This will be the last week of baseball/softball games.
External Affairs: No report.

General Information:
Next meeting scheduled for Thursday, July 27, 2006, at 8 a.m.