[StBernard] LRA & FEMA aid

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 26 22:19:38 EDT 2006

Bianca,

please don't take offense, I am a homeowner but have family and friends who
rented.
this is how it went. FEMA sent everyone living in the disaster area
$2000.Then they sent RENTAL assistance checks, If you had insurance then you
should have had LOSS of USE and did not get the rental assistance.( if you
did get rental assistance you're likely hear from them to give it back).
Then everyone was refer to the SBA. If you were not qualified to get SBA
help then FEMA gave you a grant to cover your personal losses.The SBA does
not give you money it loans you money at a low interest rate.Any insurance,
or aid you recieved lowers the amount you can borrow. Any amount you recieve
from the LRA or the sale of your home goes to the lowering of the SBA loan
amount. Most renters recieved these grants, most homeowners and rental
owners did not. Although I know everybody situation was different and it was
treated different. Rental owners can recieve help from the LRA but they have
to keep their rental fees low and when and if they sell that property they
have to pay the amont they recieved back. So you see most homeowners and
rental owners were not given money they will have to pay back anything they
recieve. And without the LRA help there will not be anything affordable to
rent in the parish. With some renters who recieved grant money they could
have bought flooded homes cheap and then applied for LRA money.(I think that
is right but could be wrong) Having children who are renters I know you're
having a hard time like most everyone. Hope everything gets better for you
and everyone else.
Good Luck
CASSAVEDO