[StBernard] Council Passes Ordinance Related to Mosquito and Rat Problems

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jul 28 01:14:30 EDT 2006

To further emphasize the need for assistance in attacking the mosquito, rat,
and snake problems in St. Bernard, I suggest that Mr. Rodriguez request that
a representative of the state and Federal Government's Health and Human
Resources Departments take a thorough tour of the parish so that they can
see first hand the number of untreated swimming pools, the standing piles of
debris (and I am talking about gutting debris, not the debris from the
rebuilding effort), and the number of homes that haven't been touched or are
awaiting demolition. If that isn't enough to prove that help to address
this situation is needed, I don't know what is.

One benefit of such a visit ( or lack there-of) would be the additional
media attention. Failure to respond to such an invitation or failure to
take any action after visiting would clearly be grounds for a congressional
inquiry. Again, a benefit, hopefully, but I see no down side to it.

It has been a month now since Murphy picked up storm related debris from
homes that were gutted on Campagna, Corrine, and Charles Drive. The debris
is blocking drainage and is adding to our already significant mosquito and
rat problem. I know that employees of Murphy Oil read this column, yet none
seem to have the backbone to respond as to how they determine "when and
What" debris they will clean-up. I can forgive them for not being prepared
for Katrina, as I doubt that very many of truly expected the magnitude of
damage St. Bernard experienced. I cannot forgive, nor accept, their lack of
responsiveness to the clean-up effort. In the beginning, there were visible
signs of their effort continually. Now, the only response I have received
is that "the current volume of storm related debris compared to that debris
originating from the rebuilding effort has resulted in our (Murphy) needing
fewer resources allocated to the on-going clean-up". This may be a
politically correct statement and sounds great to the media, but the
statement is nothing more than BullsXXX! Anyone with an ounce of sense can
drive down these streets and clearly see what debris is from repairs and
what is from homes recently gutted. From my own perspective, Murphy
always claims to be a "neighbor". If that is the case, then why nit-pick
over the debris. Send in the clean-up crews on a daily basis and spend a
day or two on each street and keep repeating the cycle until the end of
September. By then we would be past the St. Bernard August 29th deadline to
take action, and I would assume that anything thereafter would be a result
of new debris and the responsibility of the parish. If nothing else,
leaving new debris that does not contain refrigerators and food will not
contribute to the increase in the rat population.