[StBernard] Governor's statement on her discussions with Allstate

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 1 02:09:27 EDT 2006

Governor's statement on her discussions with Allstate

"In the ongoing effort to protect the rights of Louisiana citizens to have access to affordable, quality insurance, I met today with Allstate CEO Thomas Wilson and Insurance Commissioner Jim Donelon to discuss Allstate's plans to limit coverage to some Louisiana citizens

"Overall, I found the conference call informative and positive. Mr. Wilson reiterated his company's challenges and stated they are exploring alternative solutions to both minimize their risks and address their challenges as a result of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

"I made it clear to Mr. Wilson and his colleagues at Allstate that, while Commissioner Donelon and I understand their concerns, Louisiana will aggressively defend our insurance consumer protection laws for our citizens. The solutions to their corporate challenges should not seek to water down or challenge those laws.

"I also informed Allstate that Louisiana will take a hard look at future insurance solutions that are solely coverage-oriented and not profit oriented. This is a critical avenue that we will aggressively explore.

"I have asked Allstate to seek creative consumer-focused solutions and options that provide consumer choice in coverage. This will reiterate to their customers that they are indeed 'in good hands.' I want to thank Allstate and its employees for their hard work and personal generosity to Katrina and Rita victims.

"I believe that Allstate is inclined to remain a strong corporate partner in Louisiana. I appreciate Mr. Wilson for taking the time to speak directly to me and to restate the value of Louisiana as an important place for their business.

"I have committed to support Insurance Commissioner Donelon on this issue on behalf of the people of Louisiana and will continue to do so. I look forward to hearing from the Commissioner for next steps."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People www.louisianahelp.org