[StBernard] Remembrance

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Aug 3 21:08:31 EDT 2006

Nagin claims that in New Orleans, "We mourn at funerals and at the end of
the funeral, we have a second line."

"Instead of a second line, the city should have a respectful remembrance for
the lives lost, plan a dignified memorial park dedicated to the victims of
the storm and then honor them by rebuilding the city." --Jeff Crouere,
bayoubuzz.com

**Response: Sure, let the "party" begin! Imagine the "passing of the bottles
of Thunderbird" and other alcoholic beverages, drugs, beer, and frolic?
Appropriate? I have to agree with Jeff. It shows you can take New Orleans
out of Katrina, but you can't take the City out of ignorance. Culture?
Folks, to many of us, it's our culture having lived the city much of our
lives and believe me, having 'fun' (and I challenge anyone to say they will
not have fun) to "bury da past" is not OUR cup of tea. It might look
"cutesy", but it lacks decipline and couthness. It's disgraceful under these
conditions. It's time to rebuild and mourn appropriately in anticipate for
"life again" in our areas where disaster is still the order of the day until
we have healed appropriately.

Someone must have told Nagin it was appropriate to ditch the fireworks,
comedy show and masquerade parties. He probably did it reluctantly and only
after undue pressure from the uptown and French quarter protest people who
even compromised enough to let them "snake dance through the streets".
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

--Now to our own mourning. Hopedale is fine for a spot of a dozen people to
be witnesses for a monument. If there is going to be a monument for the
masses, please have another in central St. Bernard where our citizens,
tourists, news, and whatever can hold their remembrances more frequently if
needed. Someone mentioned the old Kaiser site/port. Since there IS a
monument remembering the Battle of N.O. nearby, there is a central location
to visit both if needed for all. Have a duplicate cross made and placed. To
us, Katrina was just as much a part with historic proportions as a battle.
It WAS --OUR battle that was, is, and shall be for some time to come. Just
WHERE are our leaders when needed? (more about the council meetings
eruptions/disruptions at a more appropriate time and place).

--jer--