[StBernard] planning commission to hear oil drilling case

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Aug 5 20:36:48 EDT 2006

Craig,

Thanks for your input -------- it is always welcome from me.

I thought I remember reading that there was a zoning change involved from
commercial to industrial in order for a well location to be put on the
property. Did I read the messages wrong?

Is the property 1) already zoned industrial, or 2) is a drill site allowed
on a property zoned commercial if conditional use is granted, or 3) neither
(please clarify for me)?

The point I was trying to make was if the property wasn't already zoned
industrial and the council voted to change it from commercial to industrial,
then just about anything could be put there; a plant, refinery, etc., in the
future. If it's already zoned industrial then my point is moot.

At any rate, once a drill site is located on the property and a rig is moved
in, they will be drilling around the clock with drill pipe trucks and tools
coming and going to the site at any time. The drilling operation is noisy
and the rig has lights on it for safety which will illuminate the area for
blocks. Since there aren't many people living in the neighborhoods after
Katrina, now may be the best time for a drilling operation.

If the well hits, then the company will be laying an oil/gas flowline, and
installing production/treating facilities (separator, tank, dehydration and
metering equipment, etc.) on the property. There is an existing natural gas
pipeline on the property owned by KOCH so they won't have to lay a very long
gas export pipeline to sell the gas, and they can truck off the liquids
(oil/condensate) whenever the stock tank gets full. Parish government should
require that the company permanently anchor the stock tank to the earth so
we don't have another Murphy-type oil spill if God forbid another flood
comes.

I just wanted the neighbors to know that in addition to a drilling rig,
production facilities could eventually be placed on the site, if the well is
a success. That may be a concern for the neighbors and they need to know
about it now, not after the well hits.

John

P.S. I'll bet you a coke that when the subdivision developer bought the
property, the original landowner retained the mineral rights. If I am
correct the individual homeowners won't be getting any royalty money. I hope
I'm wrong.