[StBernard] MINUTES OF OPERATIONS BRIEFING - Aug 3

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Aug 6 23:15:25 EDT 2006

MINUTES OF OPERATIONS BRIEFING
Thursday, August 3, 2006, 8:00 a.m.

David Peralta, Chief Administrative Officer

Present: 23

Emergency Operations: Larry Ingargiola. Not present.
Dysart reports:
1. We have contacted the State with the threat of Tropical Storm Chris to
get a supply of water and MRE's at different drop points of the parish. This
way if we do loose power we will already know the locations if something
were to occur.
Community Development: Gina Hayes.
1. We are still very busy, still having problems with residents not
understanding all rules with Fema/LRA/ABF. If anyone is not sure of the
correct information please direct them to our office so that we may answer
any resident's questions with the correct information.

Public Works and Water and Sewer: Chris Merkl.
1. We had a pre-storm meeting yesterday due to Tropical Storm Chris
threatening to enter the Gulf. We know that the trailer cities are important
plus getting our equipment moved and secured. We feel this is a good time to
do a false run if the storm does not come in our direction. Peralta said he
was going to open the OEP office on Sunday due to the threat of the tropical
storm but since the storm was downgraded, he may not have to open the office
on Sunday but instead move that trial run to Monday.
2. We are also working on project worksheets for the mosquito control for
the chemicals we had to purchase for protecting the parish against the
mosquito threat.
Curry reports:
1. Starter the picking up of debris in the original Murphy Oil spill area.

Recovery: David Dysart.
1. We have suspended the volunteer camp to an on call status due to Tropical
Storm Chris. The volunteers will be notified by letter letting them know
the status of the camp and storm. New Orleans will have a site to house our
volunteers if a hotel is needed.
Public Assistance:
Residential: Craig Taffaro.
1. Trailer issues: Allison with Fema has developed a form for our residents
and we should be getting response from our residents. We also know that the
DRC at Walmart has moved out and our residents feel that Fema has left the
parish. Allison with Fema said she will look into the matter of having an
office located here in the parish.
2. I had a very productive meeting with Senator Vitter, he was unaware of
the mosquito issues here in our parish.
He is also on board with the appeal and he will be working from the
Washington end and he is willing to work on the mosquito issue. He is also
meeting with Senator Boasso with the MRGO issues. Dysart said that we may
be entitled to supplement money for the mosquito problems.
3. Discussions with Senator Vitter and Senator Landrieu on the Gulf Coast
Security Bill, which allows the funds for OCS, had past the first step but
still has to be voted on again to be passed. The word in Washington is that
it will pass with approval but there are still movements but it is in the
works.

Business: Charles Ponstein.
1. The CRC met yesterday and will introduce the list of champions at the FCS
meeting today.

Private Non-Profit: Judy Hoffmeister. Not present.

Volunteers: Gidget McDougall
1. Bill Hyland and I went to Baton Rouge to retrieve the list of historical
properties which is over 700 pages.
2. Dr. Phil show will be coming to St. Bernard to talk to residents about
their Fema horror stories.
3. St. Bernard Chamber is hosting the "Road Home Program" which will be held
August 12, 2006. Walter Leger and Donna Fraiche will be speaking at the
event.
4. The Katrina Committee is still working on the one year anniversary event
for August 29, 2006.

Agriculture/Wildlife and Fisheries: Ricky Melerine. Not present.
Lake Borgne Basin Levee District: Bob Turner. Not present.
Medical: Dr. Bryan Bertucci. Not present.

EMS: Janie Fuller.
1. Employees are making personal preparations for their families in case of
Tropical Strom Chris.

Public Safety: Sheriff's Office. Pete Tufaro. Not present.

Fire Department: Leon Lea.
1. We had 30 calls since the Monday meeting, 22 calls were medical for
different reasons.

Environmental Issues:
CDC and DEQ: Wayne Desselle.
1. I have been in contact with CCA but still waiting for their equipment to
be repaired.
EPA: Not present.

Murphy Oil: Carl Zornes
1. Continue cleaning houses and URG still picking up debris in the Murphy
Oil spill area.

Parish Government:
Parks and Recreation: John Metzler, Jr.
1. Handed out informational flyers about the Soccer season.

General Information:
We had special guest today for our meeting Lori and Chris from Senator
Vitter's office.
Next meeting scheduled for Monday, August 7, 2006, at 8 a.m.