[StBernard] Weekly Update from Bobby - August 6, 2006

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Aug 6 23:12:26 EDT 2006

August 6, 2006
Dear friends,

U.S. Senate votes to support Louisiana

The U.S. Senate passed an energy bill this week that puts us one step closer
to a long-term source of funding for important projects in Louisiana. As
many of you know, the House of Representatives passed my energy bill, the
Deep Ocean Energy Resources Act of 2006 (H.R. 4761), with a bipartisan vote
of 232 to 187 in June.

Now a conference committee will be appointed to work out the differences
between the House and the Senate bills. I vow that I will continue working
to ensure that the final energy legislation approved by this conference
committee contains as much money as possible for Louisiana.

I hope that the Senate and House conferees will come to the table with an
open mind about royalty sharing with energy producing states. For too long,
politicians and bureaucrats in Washington have been reluctant to recognize
the importance of the contributions Louisiana makes to the energy supply in
our nation. Despite our contributions, our state receives very little
compensation. I am hopeful that Senate leaders will reconsider this position
and allow Louisiana to benefit from royalty sharing just like states with
onshore drilling who receive as much as 50 percent of royalties generated.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Louisiana to get our fair share
of offshore energy royalties. It is in the interest of Louisiana to come
away from this conference committee with a compromise that looks more like
my bill which will provide our state with billions of dollars more than the
Senate version. This will provide a significant source of long-term funding
to repair our coast, develop our infrastructure, and improve our flood and
hurricane protection.

I will continue to keep you updated about this very important issue, but in
the meantime, you can read more about why this bill is significant for our
state at:

The Lafayette Daily Advertiser - Revenue-sharing bills offer state major
advantages
<http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060805/OPINION01/
608050314/1014>

The Baton Rouge Advocate - A breakthrough on oil revenue
<http://www.2theadvocate.com/opinion/3480987.html>

The Shreveport Times - Louisiana must hold firm on its demand for more oil
royalties
<http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060804/OPINION0
3/608040360/1007>

Working to protect Louisiana ports

As the only member from Louisiana on the House of Representatives Homeland
Security Committee, I have worked hard to make sure that infrastructure in
our state is protected and fully funded.

Earlier this week, I toured critical homeland security projects in Calcasieu
Parish with Sheriff Tony Mancuso. We took a boat tour of the buffer zone on
Lake Charles that the Sheriff is charged with defending that surrounds
numerous industrial and chemical plants. I also got a firsthand look at the
new technologies that help local officials protect our state.

In June, I had the opportunity to tour how homeland security grants are
being used to patrol and protect the Red River in Caddo Parish. Along this
river are vital drinking water supplies, critical infrastructure for
Barksdale Air Base, and other potential targets. I have also toured nuclear
power plants and other critical infrastructure in recent months as part of
my committee responsibilities.

I have been a vocal advocate in Washington for ensuring that the federal
government does a better job of allocating homeland security money based on
threat rather than politics, so that we do not have law enforcement units in
other states with unnecessary gear they admit they do not need while real
needs here in Louisiana are under funded. The ports in Louisiana play a
critical role in the economy of our nation, and we need to continue to
highlight the importance of this infrastructure as homeland security funding
is allotted.

We cannot afford to waste crucial homeland security money, and we need to
cut through the red tape in the state and federal governments as much of the
money allocated takes years to get to local officials. One estimate totals
$100 million that Louisiana has received in federal homeland security funds
and not spent since 2002. It is imperative that Louisiana have the funds
necessary to defend critical infrastructure projects in our state, and I
will continue to be a vocal advocate for these projects in Congress.

You can read more about my homeland security tour at:

Congressman says Lake Charles ranks high as target for terrorists
<http://www.bobbyjindal.com/email_template/am_press_article.html>

Honoring local Eagle Scouts

This week, I had the opportunity to join some local students who attained
the high honor of Eagle Scout. This is a wonderful tribute, and not an easy
accomplishment by any means. I was honored to address these students, and I
told them that our country needs more individuals like themselves who
understand the importance of promoting Louisiana values in society today. My
congratulations go out to all of the Scouts who attained this honor.

Since 1910, the Boy Scouts have fostered a safe and enjoyable environment
for youth in our country. By promoting good citizenship, honor,
self-confidence, and community service, the Boy Scouts are truly a model
organization for young men.

Recently, legislation had to be introduced in Congress to continue to allow
Boy Scouts to hold meetings and go camping on federal property, and to
prevent state and local government entities from denying Boy Scouts equal
access to public facilities, forums and programs.

I think it is a complete shame that the ability of Boy Scouts to use public
facilities has come under attack in our court system because of the Boy
Scout oath of allegiance to God. I have been a strong supporter of
clarifying federal law so that the Boy Scouts will receive the same amount
of support from the federal government as any other non-profit youth
organization in this country, and I was happy to see this provision included
in legislation that recently passed Congress.

As always, please feel free to contact my offices if we can be of assistance
to you.

Sincerely,

Bobby Jindal