[StBernard] Chief of Army Corps of Engineers to retire

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 11 21:57:31 EDT 2006

Citing personal reasons, the chief of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is
retiring, the U.S. Army said.

Lt. Gen. Carl A. Strock, commander of the agency, requested retirement
"based on family and personal reasons, which the Secretary of the Army
honors and supports," the Army news release said.

Strock, who took the job in 2004, oversaw the agency's reconstruction
efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan and also managed the corps' reconstruction
work in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. The corps has come under heavy
criticism for its role in building and repairing the levees around the New
Orleans that failed during the hurricane.

The Army news release said the secretary of the Army will convene an
advisory board that will recommend a list of officers from which the
president will approve one officer for nomination to and confirmation by the
Senate.

In a statement, U.S. David Vitter, R-La., thanked Strock for his efforts,
but added, "I have advocated for months major change at the corps. I urge
the president to use this occasion to demand this through new civilian
leadership and outside, independent oversight and peer review of the
corps.''

I hate to say this, but he should not have been allowed to retire. At the
least he should have had a letter of reprimand made of record. I say this
coming from a military family.

JLY